This traditional French Provencal dish is a savory and sumptuous classic that will fill your home with the delightful aroma of roasting garlic. It’s a quick and easy dish that goes together fast, with most of the prep time happening in the oven while you do other things (like making your side dishes!)
Note that if you’d like this dish to be even lower carb than 7g per serving, you can reduce the number of garlic cloves, as they are the source of the carbs.
40 Clove Garlic Chicken
- 3 lb whole chicken
- 3 heads garlic separated and peeled (about 40 cloves)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil softened
- sea salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- ½ bunch chives, minced optional
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Rub the softened coconut oil all over the entire chicken.
- Sprinkle chicken generously with sea salt and pepper.
- Layer garlic in a greased baking dish and place the chicken on top of the garlic.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then gently flip the chicken over so that the legs are on top.
- Salt and pepper the belly side of the chicken and bake for an additional 30-45 minutes (if your chicken is bigger than 3#, add 15 minutes for each additional pound), until a meat thermometer inserted into the flesh of the inner thigh (avoiding the bone) reads 165°F and the skin is nicely browned and crisp.
- Remove the chicken to a serving platter, sprinkle with minced chives (if using), and serve with roasted garlic.