When asparagus is in season, this soup is a great way to make use of this delicious and healthy seasonal vegetable!
Full of nutrients and naturally low carb, asparagus is also detox-friendly, helping to boost phase 2 of our bodies’ natural detoxification processes. Asparagus can be especially helpful for the elimination of the prevalent environmental toxins known as PCBs. (To learn more about your body’s detoxification processes and how to boost them naturally with foods, beverages and activities, check out my popular e-course, Dr Emily’s 10-Day Detox.) Asparagus also contains a chemical called asparagine which acts as a diuretic, reducing water retention, and helps rid the body of excess, damaging uric and oxalic acids.
Pair with a salad for a light lunch or dinner, or alongside a serving of quality protein for a heartier meal. Either way, this easy, yummy soup is Paleo, low carb, Keto, cleanketo, and Whole30 friendly.
Asparagus Soup with Crispy Pancetta
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic minced
- 2 lbs asparagus ends trimmed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp sea salt or to taste
- ½ tsp ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 cup pancetta or bacon
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat for 1 minute, then add oil.
- Sauté onion and garlic in oil until onion is translucent and soft.
- Add the asparagus to the pot, and cover with the chicken broth.
- Cover and simmer until the asparagus is soft.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, sauté pancetta on medium heat for 5 minutes per side, until crispy, then set aside. (You can use bacon instead, if preferred).
- Transfer the soup to a food processor, or using an immersion blender, process until smooth (or to desired consistency).
- Add sea salt and pepper to soup, to taste, keeping in mind that the pancetta/bacon garnish will add some saltiness.
- Pour into soup bowls and sprinkle with pancetta (or bacon).