Keto, Paleo, Primal, Low Carb Healthy Goodness
Bacon mayo – also fondly known as Baconnaise – is a delicious way to get more good healthy fat into your diet. It’s quick & easy to make – assuming you have some bacon fat around. Which you should, at all times. 😉 If you don’t, just cook up a package of bacon, and save the liquid gold that renders off of it, and you’re ready to make this mayo. It’s so super duper yummy on keto sandwiches (double BLT!!), or in egg salad, or made into salad dressing, or as the base for a dip for crudites, or any other way you can think of to use mayo.
As always, it’s best to use bacon from pastured pigs, as it’s much more nutritious and less inflammatory than the meat from pigs raised in crowded feedlots (not to mention better for our environment.)
So, let’s get to it!
- 2 egg yolks (from pastured poultry)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (~1 lemon)
- Unrefined sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup rendered bacon fat (from pastured pigs), warmed slightly so it is liquid but not hot
- Place yolks, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender
- Blend well, and then with food processor/blender still running, slowly drizzle in the bacon fat in a very thin stream
- Run blender/food processor until mayo sets up (emulsifies) into a thick paste
- Once mayo is thick, place in a glass jar
- Will keep in the fridge for up to a few weeks
See, I told you it was quick & easy. Enjoy!