For the few weeks of spring when asparagus is in season, I like to incorporate it into as many meals as possible, to make the most of this fleeting treasure! This delicious stir fry is quick, easy and full of fresh spring flavor, as well as being great for you: like most of my recipes, it’s Paleo, low carb, Keto, cleanketo, detox and Whole30 friendly. And if you love asparagus, you might also want to check out my Asparagus Soup with Crispy Pancetta (or bacon). Try it today!
Qǐng màn yòng! (enjoy your meal)
Chicken and Asparagus Stir-Fry
- 1 small lemon zested and juiced
- ⅔ cup chicken broth
- 4 tsp Paleo & Keto fish sauce such as Red Boat brand
- 2 green onions sliced
- ⅓ in fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 1 lb asparagus tough ends removed
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic 3-4 large cloves
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cups cooked chicken diced
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder
- 4 tsp filtered water
- 1 tsp coconut aminos or to taste
- ¼ tsp white pepper or to taste
- For stir-fry sauce, in a small bowl, combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, broth and fish sauce, and set aside.
- Cut asparagus stalks into 2" long pieces.
- In a wok or large frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add the ginger, garlic, and scallions to the oil, and sauté for 30 seconds to release the flavors, stirring constantly.
- Add the sauce and the asparagus.
- Cover, and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the asparagus turns bright green.
- Toss in the shredded chicken and stir to combine, then cook for a few more minutes until chicken is heated through.
- Mix the arrowroot with the filtered water and add this mixture to the pan, and cook until the sauce begins to thicken (2-3 minutes).
- Remove from heat, stir in coconut aminos and white pepper, adjust seasonings to taste, and serve!