Gumbo is a favorite comfort food down in the South. There are lots of different kinds of gumbo out there – this version is a Cajun-inspired gumbo that is filled with chicken and sausage and yummy veggies and spices. Once it’s done, you can serve it as is, or over good-for-you cauliflower or shirataki rice. Full of flavor, this easy grain-free and gluten-free recipe is a crowd pleaser that’s ready in just 30 minutes, and is low carb, Paleo, Keto, cleanketo, and Whole30 friendly. Try it today!
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- ½ tsp sea salt plus more to taste
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper to taste
- 6 Tbsp coconut flour
- ½ lb andouille sausage sliced
- 1½ tsp cajun seasoning
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper - add more if you like more heat!
- 2 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Heat a large stockpot over medium heat for 1 minute, then add oil.
- Add onion, celery, bell pepper, bay leaf, garlic, salt, and ground black pepper; cook, stirring, until celery is soft, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk in coconut flour and cook for additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly, to gently brown the flour.
- Add the sausage to the pot along with Cajun seasoning, dried thyme, and cayenne.
- Stir to combine, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, and bring to a simmer.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes more.
- Serve as is or over cauliflower or shirataki rice.