This recipe is very tasty and goes together fast, and provides a quick and satisfying breakfast or lunch option for busy workdays. I make this nearly every weekend for the week ahead, using whatever veggies are in season. And if you tolerate dairy, a sprinkling of shredded cheese on top is a tasty addition!
- 16 oz ground sausage, (I like Beeler’s breakfast sausage)
- 12 medium eggs (or 8 large), from happy healthy hens (aka “pasture raised”)
- ¼ cup dried onion flakes or cooked chopped onions
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced, or 1 tsp garlic granules
- ½ cup chopped fresh herbs of your choice – optional
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk (choose a brand with no gums or other additives, such as Let’s Do Organic or Trader Joe’s) – optional, see Notes below
- 3 cups cooked chopped brassicas (broccoli, kale, collards, etc.) – see my post Beautiful Brassicas for a full list of these delicious, nutritious and detoxifying veggies
- Cook sausage until browned and fully cooked, breaking up into small pieces as it cooks.
- While the cooked sausage is cooling, put the eggs, onion, garlic, herbs (if using), salt, pepper, and coconut milk (if using) into large bowl and mix thoroughly with hand mixer (or, better yet, use your stand mixer if you have one).
- Pour egg mixture into greased 8″x8″ or 9″x7″ casserole (see Notes below on dish size)
- Add veggies and cooked sausage to egg mixture in casserole dish, and stir to distribute all ingredients evenly.
- Bake at 325 F for 25-35 minutes, just until center is barely set and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (Do not overcook or it will become rubbery!)
- Let cool completely before cutting and serving.
- Include the coconut milk if you like a silky, fluffy texture, like a traditional quiche. Skip the milk if you prefer the texture to be denser and heartier.
- A larger casserole dish will work fine, but will yield a flatter casserole, and require less cooking time. We like our pieces thicker/taller, hence the use of the smaller casserole dish. It’s your choice!