Like a good coleslaw recipe, a reliably delicious and easy potato salad recipe is a great staple to have in your repertoire – for potlucks, picnics, impromptu guests, or just quick weeknight dinners. But if you’re trying to get and stay healthy, inflammatory carb-heavy potatoes are not your friend…
Enter faux-tato salad! Replacing problematic potatoes with health-boosting cauliflower gives you a just-as-awesome-tasting side dish that is way better for you, and keeps you on plan with your low carb / Keto / Dr. Emily-approved eating! 😄
The secrets to making this faux-tato salad just like the “real thing” are:
- chop up the cauliflower into fairly small chunks (like you would with classic potato salad)
- steam the cauli until it is nice and tender (this makes the flavor milder and more like potatoes)
- mix in the dressing while the cauliflower is still hot, allowing the flavor to get into the cauli more completely, so your taste experience is just like a classic potato salad (no hint of cauliflower here!)
- and finally, if there’s time, put the assembled salad in the fridge (covered) for at least 1 and up to 24 hours to give the flavors even more time to develop and meld.
Even if you aren’t a big fan of cauliflower, give this one a try. I think you’ll be very pleasantly surprised at how delicious this is, even for non-cauliflower-lovers! And if you love cauliflower, then you’ll love this dish as another healthy, tasty way to enjoy an old favorite.
This salad is low carb, CleanKeto, and – if you leave out the celery and the paprika – on plan for my popular and powerful program, Dr. Emily’s 10-Day Detox!
- 1 small head of cauliflower, diced (~6 cups once chopped)
- 3 stalks celery, minced (1/3 cup) (leave out while doing Dr. Emily's 10-Day Detox)
- 3 large eggs, hard boiled and chopped
- ½ cup scallions, thinly sliced
- ⅔ cup Paleo mayo (such as Chosen Foods or Primal Kitchen)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp stone-ground mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (leave out while doing Dr. Emily's 10-Day Detox)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- Steam the cauliflower until tender. (Do not boil - this will make it too wet/soggy, and not absorb the dressing flavors well.)
- Meanwhile, combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Put all ingredients together in a large bowl and mix well until thoroughly combined.
- If there's time, cover and refrigerate the salad for at least 1 and up to 24 hours before serving, to allow the flavors to develop and meld = more delicious! But if there isn't time, no worries, it'll still be great.