Have you ever had classic shakshuka? It’s a delicious, middle eastern spiced tomato and egg dish that makes a wonderful meal any time of day.
Green shakshuka puts a Keto-friendly spin on the classic shakshuka recipe. It’s an easy, one-pan dish filled with low carb green veggies and poached eggs. Whether you have it for breakfast, lunch or dinner, it’s a hearty, nutrient-packed meal. And you can switch up the veggies to work with what’s in season, any time of year!
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- ¼ cup red onion chopped
- 4 large cloves of garlic peeled and minced
- 2 cups hardy green vegetables (broccoli, kale, collards, Brussels sprouts) thinly sliced or diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4 cups spinach and/or chard chopped
- 4 large eggs or 5 small to medium
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 2 Tbsp cultured veggies optional
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add oil to pan and swirl to coat.
- Add onion and cook for a few minutes, until onion becomes translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Add hardy green vegetables and cook for several minutes, stirring frequently, until starting to soften slightly.
- Add spices and stir to combine, then cook for 1 minute.
- Add spinach/chard and stir, cooking until greens are just beginning to wilt, then turn heat to low.
- Using the back of a spoon, make an indentation in the greens mixture for each egg, and crack one egg into each well.
- Cook until eggs are desired doneness.
- Serve, topped with cilantro, avocado, and cultured veggies (if using).