Have you ever had classic shakshuka? It’s a delicious, middle eastern spiced tomato and egg dish that makes a wonderful meal any time of day.
Green shakshuka puts a Keto-friendly spin on the classic shakshuka recipe. It’s an easy, one-pan dish filled with low carb green veggies and poached eggs. Whether you have it for breakfast, lunch or dinner, it’s a hearty, nutrient-packed meal. And you can switch up the veggies to work with what’s in season, any time of year!
This tasty, versatile dish is Paleo, low carb, Keto, CleanKeto, and Whole30 compliant, and also on-plan for Dr. Emily’s 10-Day Detox.
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- ¼ cup red onion chopped
- 4 large cloves of garlic peeled and minced
- 2 cups hardy green vegetables (broccoli, kale, collards, Brussels sprouts) thinly sliced or diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4 cups spinach and/or chard chopped
- 4 large eggs or 5 small to medium
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 2 Tbsp cultured veggies optional
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add oil to pan and swirl to coat.
- Add onion and cook for a few minutes, until onion becomes translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Add hardy green vegetables and cook for several minutes, stirring frequently, until starting to soften slightly.
- Add spices and stir to combine, then cook for 1 minute.
- Add spinach/chard and stir, cooking until greens are just beginning to wilt, then turn heat to low.
- Using the back of a spoon, make an indentation in the greens mixture for each egg, and crack one egg into each well.
- Cook until eggs are desired doneness.
- Serve, topped with cilantro, avocado, and cultured veggies (if using).
Calories: 319kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 14g | Trans Fat: 0.04g | Cholesterol: 372mg | Sodium: 782mg | Potassium: 660mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 8371IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 230mg | Iron: 5mg