This zesty, tasty North African dish is super easy – just roast the lamb, shred it, add harissa, scoop the mixture into lettuce leaves, and voilà! Lunch (or dinner) is ready!
As-is, this healthy recipe is Paleo, Whole30, low carb, keto and cleanketo friendly. And it’s versatile, too; add more veggies into your lettuce boats if you like – for example, diced bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, and/or shredded carrots all go well. Just watch your carbs on those veggies if you’re doing keto or cleanketo, since they add up fast!
Harissa Spiced Lamb Wraps
- 1 lb boneless lamb roast
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp harissa spice mix or to taste
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 head butter lettuce leaves separated, washed and dried
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place lamb in a roasting pan and bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Decrease temperature to 325°F, cover, and continue cooking for an additional 25-45 minutes, until desired doneness (med-rare 145˚F; medium 160˚F; well-done 170˚F on an instant-read meat thermometer).
- Remove lamb from oven and set aside to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Once lamb is cool enough to handle, shred the meat.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add harissa seasoning, and sauté for 1 minute to release the flavors.
- Add the shredded lamb and cook for 2 minutes, stirring to evenly distribute spices.
- Adjust seasoning to your preference.
- Remove pan from heat and add lemon juice into the seasoned lamb, and stir to combine.
- Spoon a few tablespoons of lamb onto the center of each lettuce leaf.
Calories: 189kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 76mg | Potassium: 423mg | Fiber: 0.5g | Sugar: 0.5g | Vitamin A: 1350IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 3mg