This is a decadent and delicious chowder that is the perfect comfort food for a wintry weekend night! And it’s quick and easy, and super healthy to boot. Have a piece of my Keto Kornbread on the side to complete this satisfying and tasty meal.
And if you want to make the chowder more like the traditional, you can add cooked, cubed baby turnips (in place of the traditional potato pieces). A great nutrition boost, turnips are 8 grams of carbs per cup. So if you add 1 cup to the whole soup, that’ll add just 2 grams of carbs per serving = still low carb and Keto friendly. 🙂
This soup is versatile, too – if you don’t like salmon, or don’t have any on hand, you can use just about any other cooked fish or seafood, and it’ll be just as dynamite!
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 3 slices bacon chopped
- ½ cup onion diced
- ½ cup celery chopped
- 4 cups bone broth fish or chicken
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1 lb cooked salmon roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill or to taste
- ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 cup coconut cream
- Set a heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium heat.
- Add oil to soup pot and heat for 1 minute.
- Add the bacon pieces and fry, stirring and turning often, until crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the onion and celery and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and sea salt and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and add the salmon.
- Cook gently for a few minutes until the salmon is warmed through.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the dill, black pepper and coconut cream.
- Serve hot.