Super quick to throw together into the crock pot or Instant Pot, this super savory and delicious dish will fill your house with tantalizing aromas as it slow-cooks for several hours (all day, or overnight), while you do other things. Best made a day or two ahead to give the flavors time to meld and develop. Great for company as well as for batch-cooking several meals’ worth of protein ahead of time!
Slow Cooked Greek Lamb Roast
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- ~5 lbs bone-in lamb leg or shoulder
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat for 1 minute, then add oil.
- Add leg of lamb and cook, turning every couple of minutes until it is browned on all sides.
- Place lamb in slow cooker and add all remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Transfer the lamb and sauce to a baking dish.
- Chill entire dish in the fridge for several hours and up to 2 days; this resting time will significantly enhance the flavor and texture of the meat.
- One hour before you're ready to serve, preheat the oven to 300F.
- Remove the dish from the fridge and remove solidified fat to your preference.
- Place lamb on a cutting board and slice against the grain into half inch slices.
- Use an immersion blender (or standing blender) to puree the sauce smooth.
- Put the sliced meat back into the sauce, cover, and warm in oven until hot, then serve.