Easy, savory and delicious, if you love artichokes, this chicken casserole is sure to please! Reminiscent of popular spinach-artichoke dips, the sauce is quickly made, poured over bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, and baked to perfection. This recipe makes great leftovers, and is Paleo, low carb, Keto, detox and Whole30 friendly.
(If you’re ok with dairy, you can sub heavy cream for the coconut cream and thus reduce the carb content by 9 grams (1.5g/serving) and also increase the amount of healthy fat – this is particularly helpful if you are in your early days of transitioning to Keto/low carb – though this will make the recipe Primal vs Paleo).
Spinach Artichoke Chicken Bake
- ¼ cup avocado oil or coconut oil or butter
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 8 oz coconut cream
- 1 cup artichoke hearts coarsely chopped
- 5 oz spinach leaves about 5 cups fresh
- 4 lbs chicken thighs skin on, bone in
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-low heat for 1 minute, then add oil/butter.
- Add garlic, paprika, salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Slowly add coconut cream while continuously stirring.
- Stir and simmer until sauce thickens.
- Add artichoke hearts and bring mixture to a low simmer.
- Mix in spinach and remove from heat.
- Taste sauce and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Put chicken thighs in a greased casserole dish, and pour spinach-artichoke sauce over them.
- Cover casserole dish and bake for 35-45 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and has reached 175-185°F internal temperature (check with meat thermometer).
- Remove from oven and let dish sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.