In honor of Earth Day (today), I’ve got an article/podcast for you (coming soon) on the benefits to the environment of grass-fed livestock (vs grain-fed/feedlot). And, in keeping with that topic, I thought a recipe using high quality, delicious grass-fed ground beef was a good fit!
For the seasoning of the ground beef, I usually like to make my own mixture, but recently I ordered pre-seasoned taco meat from Wild Pastures, which tasted great and was a nice time saver. So, you’ve got options! Here’s my homemade version:
Taco Seasoning Mix
1 T chili powder
1 tsp each:
smoked sea salt
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp black pepper
Now, for this colorful, nutritious and delicious salad!
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil, coconut oil, or pastured butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bulb of garlic, minced
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef, either pre-seasoned, or with above mixture added
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 medium head of lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium red tomato, diced, or 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2-3 stalks of scallions, thinly sliced
- Optional garnishes:
- A dollop of homemade cultured coconut sour cream
- Minced cilantro
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add oil/butter, and heat for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped onion and cook until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ground beef, seasoning mix (if not using pre-seasoned meat), and water.
- Cook until beef is browned through, chopping it up in the pan as it cooks. (I love this meat chopper tool for that – makes the job so easy!)
- While the ground beef cooks, put the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and toss to mix.
- To serve, put a helping of the salad mixture on a plate, spoon cooked meat over it, and add garnishes, as desired.
- Enjoy! 😋