A delicious and nutritious stew, great for warming yourself on a cold night, and, if you had turkey for your Thanksgiving dinner, this stew is a great way to make use of some leftover Thanksgiving turkey. This goes together quickly and then simmers gently all day or overnight and then presto, dinner is ready! Double the recipe so you have leftovers for another meal or two.
At 16g of carbs per serving, this soup is not exactly Keto for most people (unless your carb tolerance is high, you lucky devil!), but it is most definitely Paleo, low carb, Whole30, healthy, and super tasty! 😄 If you’d like to make it lower carb, take out some or all of the tomatoes, as those make up a large part of the carb content.
Tuscan Turkey Stew
- 1 slow cooker or stock pot
- 1 cast iron skillet
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil divided
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced 3-4 cloves
- 1 lb cooked turkey meat (or other poultry) diced
- 1 tsp sea salt divided
- ½ tsp black pepper divided
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 14 oz tomatoes diced (1 can)
- 1 cup kale chopped
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 cups bone broth (make your own from your leftover turkey carcass)
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add oil and heat for 1-2 minutes, until it shimmers.
- Add onion and garlic to skillet and sauté for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, plug in slow cooker and turn on to low heat, or set stock pot on stove burner on low.
- Add onions and garlic, along with carrots, celery, tomatoes, kale, Italian seasoning, thyme, broth, and remaining salt and pepper to slow cooker or stock pot.
- Add turkey (or other poultry) meat to slow cooker/stock pot.
- Cover and cook stew on low for 6-8 hours.
- When ready to serve, stir in balsamic vinegar, and add more salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls, and drizzle each serving with 1 tsp olive oil to enhance the flavor and nutritiousness.
Calories: 282kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 76mg | Sodium: 924mg | Potassium: 789mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 7064IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 133mg | Iron: 3mg