In my post Staying Healthy With The Seasons, I talked about eating in-season produce as one of the tools we can use to help keep our bodies in harmony and balance, and optimize good health.
In the late summer season, this quick, easy, flavorful recipe fits right in with that concept, when green beans are fresh and bountiful in gardens and local markets in most parts of the USA and in many countries around the world.
This simple, tasty green bean recipe makes a great side dish for most protein entrees (pair with a yummy sauce for more pizazz!), and while it’s a bit on the carbier side (9 grams per serving) for those who are strict Keto and need to keep their carbs low to stay in nutritional ketosis, this side dish is a winner for Paleo, low carb, and Whole30. Or, make it more keto-friendly by having a smaller serving. 😉 Dig in!
Zesty Green Bean Salad
- 1 lb fresh green beans
- 1 small lemon
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Trim the ends off the green beans, then cut into 2-3" long pieces.
- Steam the green beans until desired tenderness (about 5 minutes for crunchy/al dente, 7-8 minutes for crisp-tender, or 10 minutes for soft).
- While the green beans cook, zest and then juice the lemon.
- Fill a large bowl with ice cold water.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, lemon juice, lemon zest, and olive oil.
- When green beans are done, quickly drain and transfer them to the bowl of cold water to rapidly cool them and stop the cooking process.
- Drizzle dressing over cooked green beans and season with sea salt and pepper to taste.